Friday, June 10, 2005

The Airport...people watching

So, here I sit at the airport in Houston TX. I've been here for almost three hours and am currently sitting and people watching. My flight leaves in about half an hour so I will make this short and quick. I'm in a small part of the airport and fortunately they decided that it's important to have alcohol available to those that are interested. There is a full bar within view with several patrons taking that last drink prior to their flight leaving....Michael Jacksons trial is on the TV and many are watching in deep anticipation of the outcome. There is a your girl sitting across from me with headphones on in her own world...funny with the invention of the modern electronics how we tend to "tune out" rather than interact with those around us. I sat at the bar earlier and had a couple of drinks. Chatted with a man from CT for a while heading back home. I enjoy hearing about other peoples travels and life...makes me worry less about mine. So the girl with the headphones...next to her is a young man who would probably love to talk to her but she is so absorbed in her music that she isn't interested. They are about the same age and it would be interesting to see them interact. Another girl sitting beside me is currently placing her headphones on to block out any unwanted intrusions. She is writing in some sort of small notebook. I wonder as I write, Is she writing about me or the others around me?? I would love to chat with anyone that would but most just want to be left alone.... Some people are reading or just acting like they dont want to be bothered. Carrying an array of backpacks and suitcases...purses or any color...some in suits and some in sweats. A woman across the waiting area is stretching her legs after, I presume a long flight or at least a long wait. The atmosphere is dull to say the least. No excitement no thrill....just tired passengers in a hurry to get wherever it is that they are heading whether it be home or somewhere for work or pleasure. So, here I sit...just like the rest....waiting.....

The stress level is better now than last night. I spent my morning finding the Fed-ex building and then finding a place to cash my paycheck...the company that I am working for is not paying me correctly and that is another thing that I will have to deal with at some point....not today! It ended up costing me almost $40 to get my check cashed and I plan to have the company reimburse me for that amount...wouldn't have had the charge if they had direct deposit like they were supposed to. There is another young girl across from me traveling with (i'm guessing here) her grandmother and she is on the phone bitching about some flight delay that she had....welcome to flying!!! The waiting area is thinning out a little now as one of the flights has boarded and ready to leave now. I am almost certain that half of those still waiting are going to be on my flight....

I spoke to Randall today and he is meeting me at the airport in Louisville when I arrive. It is actually nice to know that someone actually wants to see me. I am still feeling a bit sorry for myself...I am feeling like I really have no true friends and it's a little lonley. Sometimes I wonder if I should pick a spot and try to place roots but the bigger part of me just wants to continue to travel and see all the places that I can see and experience. Maybe someday I will setttle down....not today though.

My flight is being delayed now...crew isn't available yet. I suppose that IKt will be late when I get in tonight but at least I wont be arriving to an empty airport...or an empty feeling (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment